[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - XDesktop2 for Windows 2016-12-31

XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: November 19th, 2016, 10:39 am 

EV9`NHBQ[0Z4J`B0P]{GRA3.png
EV9`NHBQ[0Z4J`B0P]{GRA3.png [ 5.25 KiB | Viewed 26584 times ]

2.gif
2.gif [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 25828 times ]

XDesktop2 for Windows demo2

Download: http://xdesktop.com/xdesktop2_2016_12_31.zip

Mirror: http://kuyux.com/xdesktop/xdesktop2_2016_12_31.rar

[update log]
2016-12-31
1. Add Video Wallpaper support
2. Add Wallpaper mode
3. Add HTML5 support
4. Improve performance

2016-12-21
1. Add Spectrum Datasource and Control,with demo
2. fixed some bugs

2016-11-26
1. PNG animate image add support for multi-file mode
2. fixed some bugs

2016-11-24
fixed some bugs

PostPosted: November 19th, 2016, 12:22 pm 

Ok Tony. So this is the new XW Designer or something different? :?
Because I see that occupies the entire screen (like my full screen widgets)
Is still a demo and it needs a little practice, but from the first look I can tell you these:
1) I like the new dark look. For the center grid window though it will be better if you add the opacity option to make it darker or brighter because with dark pngs will be hard to work with.
2) I like that the various options are now grouped in less tabs and are more easy to find.
3) As I see are missing the complete right click options..
4) If you can please add undo/redo function
5) The demo theme (traveller clock) has all the clock hands out of position.

I think though that you should give us some informations with screenshots about the new elements/buttons and what they do.
It will be much easier for us to understand and test..

pm: I will sent the link of the topic to some other designers to tell us more.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2016, 4:49 pm 

Attachments:
layout.zip [543 Bytes]
Downloaded 2169 times

PostPosted: November 19th, 2016, 5:06 pm 

PostPosted: November 19th, 2016, 6:48 pm 

Here is my own feedback on the Xwidget 2.0 designer.

Negative points first...

Objects are missing lots of properties (presumably yet to come)

Components are a little threadbare - plenty in development I presume.

I miss the useful icons/buttons at the top, debug, design, code split, log &c - hoping these will re-appear when the design is more complete. They give the new user some direction as to where to go, what to do. They are also familiar and easy to use. I'd hate to see them disappear. The ability to switch to the code window at will using a convenient button has been lost, not good for those of us who are code-oriented. I know there is the little script button at the bottom of the page but it is tucked away and feels hidden. I expect the main helpful functions to be sited together where they are intuitively useful. The option to revert to the icons/buttons should be provided then the new designer will feel a friendly place to be rather than one where our knowledge and skills to operate the IDE are lost. Icons are useful! Give us the option to have icons, to make them smaller or larger and to place them where we want them - just as almost ALL other code editors do. We should be able to show/hide toolbars as we require. Windows users expect applications with icons and and menus in the expected location. Let us not alienate our Windows users with different methods of operation.

The black overall theme of the Xdesigner - I particularly dislike it. All my code windows, IDEs and text editors use white background and black text going back to the late 1980s. That is what I am familiar with and that is what I like. I strongly suggest an option to revert to a more traditional theme for the designer. I don't draw on a blackboard, I design using pen and paper...

Xdesigner 2.0 Proposed new version

Let the user determine the font to use for the Xdesigner in the various panels, the current font is too large, I prefer something smaller, some might prefer something larger, give us an option to configure the Xdesigner, font, colours &c.

The code window -the default font has changed and there is no option to revert to another font. I know which font I prefer for my code and it certainly isn't arial or similar.

There is still no option to change the font size on the code designer forcing the Xdesigner window to be displayed covering a lot of the user's screen.

The Xdesigner starting up in full screen mode every time is unwelcome.

The overall look and feel of the Xdesigner appliication is a tadge dull and boring in comparison to version 1.0. It has taken the 'modern' theme as provided by Microsoft and has followed it slavishly. As a result the new designer is a boring place to be where as the older version has colour and is vibrant. I don't like Microsoft's new style, it is corporate and bland and it would be good to be able to configure the style ourselves. See how vibrant the old designer was.

Xdesigner 1.0, bright and vibrant, it looks like an IDE.

I don't like the change from 'widget' to 'theme'. A widget is a discrete component, whereas a theme is a more comprehensive set of styles and components that produce an overall "look and theme". I would be disappointed if the xwidget designer was more oriented toward themes rather than desktop objects such as widgets. I suggest reverting to 'widgets' or 'objects' if the term widget is now out of date. I think the term 'theme' is misleading in this context. I know what I mean by theme and I believe most of the world thinks the same way. If the new version is tending towards the creation of whole themes then I think the change is a step too far and a step away from the whole concept of xwidgets... I strongly suggest that a rethink is performed here that allows those that want to create discrete widgets to continue.

I don't like the change from 'layer' to 'page'. A layer is an easily understandable concept when it comes to designing a widget comprising images, whereas a page has a relationship with a document rather than a programmable object. I would be disappointed if the xwidget designer was more oriented toward documents rather than desktop objects such as widgets. I suggest reverting to 'layers'. I think the term 'page' is misleading in this context. I know what I mean by layer or page and I believe most of the world thinks the same way.

The new Xdesigner is not backward compatible. I cannot open any old widgets using the new Xdesigner, does that mean we have to start from scratch with every design? Poor me ? Poor JimKing! There MUST be a compatibility mode or a widget mode allowing the designer to open and configure previous objects.

I do not like not being able to close my widget/theme without closing the whole Xdesigner.

I do not like not being able to open the Xdesigner without creating a new theme every time. I should be able to open the designer without opening an existing theme or opening a new one. If the Xdesigner is an IDE then make it an IDE that you can open and run and use for your own purposes. I do not wish to be forced to open a project every time.

Code window code highlighting - it seems to highlight keywords in a similar fashion as before, which is good but I must be able to define the colours. The current colours are garish, jarring and all wrong. My current code editor is Kate from the KDE stable, it is an advanced code editor, is highly configurable, colours can be changed - and Tony could take serious hints on operation from that source. https://kate-editor.org/2016/04/29/kate ... ows-64bit/

Kate Editor showing my preferred code colours and config. that I have used for years now.

Showing the Kate editor being used fully, opening a project, showing functions used.

The Kate editor is a 'real' editor but it gives an idea of how it should be done!

Assigning some code to an image object now takes even more clicks, it takes seven in total to get to the code. In the VB6 IDE (one of the best IDEs in the world) a double-click on an object in designer mode took you directly to the code and straight to the onclick event, the most commonly used event. Seven clicks to get to the code is ridiculous - and is more than the old Xdesigner that only took three!

The function list is gone from the code window, it was useful. Let's have it back please.

Some events are missing, I'm hoping they will return, ONkey events on images and other objects are required, they did not actually work on the old runtime but at least the events were present in the Xdesigner...

Split mode is missing entirely, I presume/hope it will return.

Most windows have the X or close button on the wrong side of the title bar. It is in the wrong place compared to ALL other Windows applications. Let us not alienate our users with different methods of operation. Windows users expect all buttons to be in the expected location. This is not Linux.

-oOo-

Bugs:

The Xdesigner made changes that I did not want. It is saving when I don't want it to. I made changes to the default theme, deleting the background image on the layout item and then exited the designer specifically without saving my changes but they have still been applied. When I re-opened the theme the background was gone.

Ctrl/F - search - is definitely not working, ACK produced instead of a pop-up search window.

The switch to 'debug' mode by clicking on the 'play' button is very, very, very slow. Debug mode in the old Xdesigner was instant and very useful. A slow debug mode is useless and debug mode will not be used as a result. If it is slow then remove it. My system is a core i7 3.4ghz with an SSD and I wait over 10 seconds for it to render a 'theme'. If this is the penalty for converting to themes then I don't want themes, I want widgets and an IDE that is quick to debug. I have dropped IDE's that were awkward to use. I previously dropped xDesigner 1.0 due to a clunky interface and awkward operation, I don't want to drop Xdesigner 2.0 due to a slow IDE.

-oOo-

Suggestions:

Feature Request: XWidget does not capture a keypress on an image viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6067 This is essential to allow a widget to react to hotkeys or keypresses. Other programs/widget engines have this functionality.

Feature Request: On the Xdesigner, the new 'action and command' window, a click on the function should take you to the function in the code window.

Feature Request: Object ordering within a layer is clumsy, only allowing 'bring to front' and 'send to back'. Very primitive when you have 50 or more objects. A simple move backward/forward option would allow more advanced ordering.

Feature Request: Xwidgets still has no preferences function where you can build your own widget configuration options. See Yahoo widgets for an example of how this should be done.

Feature Request: Make it possible to bind keys to specific tasks so for example the F3 key can be bound to call the search function and to repeat the search function as necessary. All windows applications use CTRL/F and F3 to search.

Feature Request - Alt+F+S to operate as other windows applications do! Give us menus to perform hot key operations using the keyboard such as save/opening widgets. All windows applications have this functionality. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3430 No need to deny Xwidget's platform roots.

Feature Request: Code Search Function - Enhance the search, allow search from top http://www.bbs.xwidget.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5138

Feature Request: Allow default image to display any type, animated GIF, APNG, .ANI or other image format. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6229

Feature Request: Transparent areas of PNGs to be excluded from being recognised as a valid click event. It should always click through transparent areas automatically.

Feature Request: Give progress bars absolute values. Progress bars can be used to give a sliding indicator showing any value. They are useful as visual analogue indicators of values directly from cores but only for cores that express their values as percentages. Unfortunately, they are next to useless when showing anything that does not equate to a percentage value. For example a temperature cannot be expressed in terms of percent. A temperature is an absolute, it is a measurement. It has no maximum which could equate to 100%. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6354

Feature Request: Tooltips are not supported in the current version of the Xwidget engine, only 'hints'. Hints are massive, tooltips are discrete. Let Xwidget 2.0 provide tooltips once again.

Feature Request: NetMonitor Boolean network availability. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6225

Feature Request: Windows Media player core, data source needs a revamp, it can't select a track for playing immediately. The current core is simply poor quality. Using the WMplayer OCX gives complete access to the Windows Media player and so I don't quite understand how the old media player core has basic and essential control missing. Fix it please!

Feature Request: Alternative media player cores, data sources. VLC is required at least, target open source players please. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6286

Feature Request: The speedfan core, data source needs to identify the sensor names correctly. It is possible by reading the names of the sensors in speedfansens.cfg.

Feature Request: Open Hardware Monitor core, open source and preferred alternative to speedfan &c. This is the future for hardware monitoring, uses WMI to store the data.

Feature Request: Data source API to be disclosed so that we can write cores ourselves... I have written my own speedfan core for use with another widget engine. We could write them, expose the interface, explain what we should be using, give us the source code of a demonstration core. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6285

Feature Request: Far more focus and orientation toward producing widgets for Android. In particular gesture based events that we can code and design in Windows and build for Android. More working cores/data sources for Android. The current set is too limiting. I was expecting so much more from this aspect of Xwidgets and it really needs to be addressed.

-oOo-

Things I like:

In the editor single-clicking on the line number highlights the line.

The highlighting text duplication bug seems to have gone away.

Changing 'cores' to 'data sources' seems more intuitive.

In code edit mode clicking on an open bracket selets the end bracket - good!

Much easier to grab and drag the IDE's frames to resize the various areas.

The ability to resize the design using the mouse scroll wheel is very welcome.

I like the resizing controls on the Xdesigner.

I prefer the properties being located beneath one panel instead of being grouped under several panels as before, although I can imagine that some might prefer the older method, perhaps this could be configurable?

I like the new ability to assign right-click context-related menus to specific objects.

-oOo-

In general I am pleased with the new designer, it is professional and so far a step in the right direction. It MUST have configuration options to change the look and feel so it matches the older designer in order to avoid alienating users.

Personally I wouldn't bother with changes to the look and feel, I would focus on fixing bugs, improving functionality, providing new data sources and bringing the code editor up to scratch and give us the tools/cores to perform cross-platform Widgets to Android. Change is fine but only when it brings improvement. The trend towards themes disturbs me. If this is a themeing engine and we cannot create discrete widgets anymore then I'd be seriously annoyed if I was one of the main widget designers...

I don't mind the idea of themes but I do not want it to subvert the concept of discrete widgets.

Other than that, it is a good offering so far. The best thing is that it proves Xwidget is NOT dead after all and the developer really is working on the new version.

I don't think I'll be doing any more testing as the Xdesigner 2.0 does not seem widget-orientated, cannot open older versions of widgets and is missing essential components/cores. There is nothing more for me to do. When the next version comes out that is backward compatible I will be happy to re-test.

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on April 24th, 2017, 7:20 am, edited 15 times in total.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2016, 5:30 am 

A good idea is add a Tooltip when you mouse over the buttons to make it easier. As yereverluvinuncleber said buttons with labels are much easier to use. The new thing is good but should not be too much. It should be a balance between bring new stuff and the old good usability.
A good example is the interface of the ACDSee Pro program

About " the tendency toward creating themes rather than widgets" yeap I don't understand it very well. It will be ideal for create full screen widgets (like I do! :) ) but surely not for the rest - normal use that is the creation of single widgets.
I don't know if this full dark grey screen that appears pressing the "Play-Debug" button is to make the preview more cleaner..
As I wrote there, Tony please give us more info about your thoughts, "how it works" and the next steps.

Edit: And yes add some colors is good! ;)

Attachments:
2016-11-20_142637.jpg
2016-11-20_142637.jpg [ 455.89 KiB | Viewed 26590 times ]

PostPosted: November 20th, 2016, 7:00 am 

Thanks for Jimking and yereverluvinuncleber, I will continue to improve the XDesigner IDE :)

PostPosted: November 20th, 2016, 7:03 am 

Good to hear it Tony. You have our support and if you need me to test anything, just ask.

I'll keep updating my post above and will add more detail to each request/bug/change/feature.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2016, 2:25 pm 

[update log]
2016-11-24
fixed some bugs

Download: http://xdesktop.com/xdesktop2_demo2.rar
Mirror: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1qXHu0Qo

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2016, 2:48 pm 

If you would be so kind Tony, tell us the bugs you fix as you fix them so we can test that bit of functionality.

I assume one of the bugs fixed was the right hand scrollbar allowing you to view all events when not full screen?

We will all be interested to see the bugs you fix.

We could raise bugs using tools such as Jira if you could be bothered to set up such a system... See the following link for an example of how to capture bugs for a similar if slightly larger project:

PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 10:34 pm 

[update log]
2016-11-26
1. PNG animate image add support for multi-file mode
2. fixed some bugs

Download: http://xdesktop.com/xdesktop2_2016_11_26.rar

PostPosted: December 7th, 2016, 12:58 pm 

Added Feature request: Allow Xwidget javascript to interface via COM to the list

PostPosted: December 21st, 2016, 2:35 pm 

[update log]
2016-12-21
1. Add Spectrum Datasource and Control,with demo
2. fixed some bugs

Download: http://xdesktop.com/xdesktop2_2016_12_21.rar

pinpu.gif
pinpu.gif [ 161.11 KiB | Viewed 26119 times ]

PostPosted: December 21st, 2016, 9:42 pm 

good job!
提几点意见:
1.新版本会遮挡桌面图标,建议增加桌面透明功能供用户自由选择
2.增加音乐播放控制器,可以跟Foobar等音乐软件关联互动
3.增加视频播放控制器,不是简单的调用系统播放器,而是允许用户自己设计视频播放器的外观和功能
4.增加一个桌面透明动画播放组件,可以直接在桌面透明播放swf类型的flash动画文件,并与flash实现交互
5.目前动画图片组件,在使用单个png序列图片做动画的时候,存在帧数设置正确的情况下出现中心漂移现象,在缩放的情况下甚至会出现明显的不连贯、图片变模糊等问题
伟大的工作,酷鱼是个不错软件,一直都在期待新版本,希望越来越强大

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2016, 3:19 am 

@desktopok please next time use English. (translated using Google)
1. The new version will block the desktop icon, the proposed increase in desktop transparency for users to freely choose
2. Increase the music player controller, you can interact with other music software such as Foobar
3. Increase the video playback controller, not simply call the system player, but allows the user to design their own video player look and function
4. Add a desktop transparent animation playback component, you can transparently play in the desktop swf-type flash animation files, and interact with the flash
5. Current animated picture components, in the use of a single png sequence picture animation, there is the correct number of frames set up under the circumstances of the center drift phenomenon, even in the case of scaling obvious incoherent, fuzzy picture and other issues
Great work, cool fish is a good software, has been looking forward to the new version, I hope more and more powerful

PostPosted: January 7th, 2017, 8:26 am 

Thi is a big change version
support wallpaper mode (display under desktop icons), dbclick to switch
support video dream desktop and HTML5 desktop by chrome core

Download: http://xdesktop.com/xdesktop2_2017_1_7.rar

[update log]
2017-1-7
1. Add Video Wallpaper support
2. Add Wallpaper mode
3. Add HTML5 support

PostPosted: January 7th, 2017, 11:19 am 

PostPosted: January 7th, 2017, 6:04 pm 

I used virustotal and all the engines pass both exe's as safe...

PS, who uses Win 8.1? less than 6% of PC users? Windows 8.1 desktop access is severely restricted in any case.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2017, 3:04 am 

PostPosted: January 8th, 2017, 4:37 am 

Impressions:

XDesktop:
1) The equalizer in the corrisponding theme appears hidden and on the top left part of the screen not in the middle (tested with 1366x768)

2) The Digital Clock theme is f... awesome! :D
I noticed that the program stopped though during the loading, when I tried to re-apply that theme after testing the others.

XDesigner:
1) I think that the Enable scroll page on/off doesn't work.

2) The Preview mode doesn't work properly.. When I press "Play" the widget locks on the left part of the screen and I can't move the testing widget. I don't like this, even because the widget goes behind the desktop icons. Also when I press "Stop" the preview runs equally and I had to close it from the icon tray.

3) Make the color out of the grid darker. Too much same grey color in the designer...!

4) Bring back the arrows control for edit the font size..!
a) The underline button is half hidden 2) text size is limited (max 80) and c) should be like the old version, to have the possibility to select size FREELY from 1 to xxx.

5) I can't edit the name of the components when a click. To rename for example the "image1" to any name..

6) I can't assign a core to a component, like datecore to text, weathercore to image. It's missing (!?)
Edit: I found it but the name of the button there "Select fro..." is not good. Change it to someting more clear and direct like "Tag Code".
Tony I strongly suggest you to take and use the same names for the buttons of the "old" version, like in this case.
The things there were pretty clear and easy. No need to change all the parts and bring confusion...
I like that now the tags are placed in categories. Good move.

7) Accuweather supports hourly forecast. You will add the tag codes for that..?
It will give a special boost for the weather widgets!

8) It will be great if you can add a Designer color option, to select a dark or lighter visuals using light grey and white color like the v1 designer.

Since the program is still in portal style I can't test it more than a certain level.
If I notice something new I will post it here...

PostPosted: January 19th, 2017, 6:21 pm 

Download: http://xdesktop.com/xdesktop2_2016_12_31.zip

Mirror: http://kuyux.com/xdesktop/xdesktop2_2016_12_31.rar

PostPosted: January 21st, 2017, 12:06 pm 

Tested - see my original response, nothing new found.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2017, 3:07 am 

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2017, 4:11 am 

Some brief release notes for each would be nice so we know what exactly we should be testing...

It feels like the blind leading the blind around here.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2017, 9:22 am 

See this post - xwidget 2.0 is NOT required, fix some of the existing bugs!