[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - HtmlPanel button click not detected

XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently April 15th, 2024, 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2016, 1:48 pm 

I've have a number of widgets that use the HtmlPanel component to display web content which have been working fine for a couple of years now. I've just updated my Windows 10 machines with the Anniversary Update 1607 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3176929) and since then web buttons do not detect clicks. I have three computers and all three exhibit the problem once updated to 1607.

When I edit the widgets in Designer I notice that they log 'Widget Window Deactivate (OnWidgetDeactivate)' when I attempt to click web buttons in the HtmlPanels.

Does anyone have a solution or suggestions to reenable clicks?

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2016, 4:08 pm 

Since you know the number of the update '3176929" I suggest you to uninstall it.. Unfortunately some of the updates are not always good for some programs.. I don't see any other solution since the win10 is a new platform and bugs are expected.
Or wait a new update. Many times future updates fix the issues.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2016, 5:20 pm 

Can you share one of the widgets for testing ?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2016, 5:07 am 

Thanks for responding guys.

The Anniversary update for Windows 10 is a massive update (think of it more like a service pack of sorts that also includes a mass of new features - http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-1 ... e-features) and removing it isn't viable for me.

I would be happy to share my widget but as the issue can be replicated simply by creating a new widget with a htmlpannel that includes a website with a button (i.e http://unixpapa.com/js/testmouse.html) it would be quicker for you to create one yourself, if you insist then let me know.

I have a hunch its a new security feature introduced as part of this update but I've just tried disabling UAC and that didnt help.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2016, 6:18 am 

I control the websites the htmlpanels point to so have ensured I have the <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=11" /> tag in the web page headers (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/patric ... atibility/)

However I did test on some external sites so forced xwidget.exe and xwtest.exe to IE11 mode with this PowerShell Script - https://gist.github.com/jfrmilner/10b07 ... 0098b726fc

I think this rules out IE emulation being the issue. Still unable to find a solution.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2016, 9:11 am 

No need to unistall the whole service pack. Each update includes many installations. Go to the installed updates through control panel and search for the file '3176929'
and unistall only this one.
I can't test it because I have win7 ult x32
With the newest updates of IE seems that XWidget lost compatibility..

PostPosted: December 4th, 2016, 9:28 am 

Unfortunately removing installed updates is not an option for me.

Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 2:20 am 

Unfortunately there is no method of raising bugs for Xwidgets and there is no formal process with which to alert the developer Tony. You just have to shout really loud and make a lot of noise on the forum and hopefully attract his attention. If you shout VERY, VERY loud and make a lot of fuss then eventually he might look at the issue, the problem is getting hold of the developer.

Tony is working on the new version of the widget designer but it is NOT a bug-fixing exercise so lower your expectations.

I have raised an issue regarding the inability of file Xwidgets' read operations to access files within the program files area, it stopped one of my widgets performing an essential reading of a .cfg file where vital (for the operation of the widget) information was contained. At some point that function of Xwidget stopped working after a Windows update. No fix has ever been forthcoming as I didn't shout loud enough having given up trying to get the attention of the developer, I simply abandoned Xwidgets as a serious platform for apps as so much was broken...

This project needs four things, a. the attention of the developer, b. more developers, c. a formal method for raising bugs and feature requests, d. feedback from the developer.

We do at the moment have the developers attention though I suggest he is working only on those things that interest him, I do not think he is working on bug-fixes, though I could be wrong. We aren't going to ever have more developers unless this project goes open source. For the life of me I do not understand why there is no formal method of raising bugs - the only reason I can see is that the developer has no intention of fixing anything. Feedback from the developer has historically been very bad though we have seen a massive improvement recently.

Unless someone can find a workaround for you, I think your intended functionality has just been removed from your widget.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 2:40 am 

I have emailed Tony about the community opening a project on JIRA that would allow us to maintain a buglist/feature requests. He only needs to acknowledge bugs for the system to work. Whether he would fix them though is a moot point but I'd be happy to create the system to support this if I thought it was was going to be used...

FYI - this post gives an idea of the number of feature requests I have raised through the forum, some of those go back years, none have been picked up, none acknowledged, none have been implemented.

Jim King is a knowledgeable chap re: Xwidgets and helpful too but he is not necessarily the right person to push a structural or developer issue with Xwidgets, his approach is nearly always to wait and hope that Tony fixes things correctly. Jim has to be positive about Xwidgets as he has so much investment in the project having created so many hundreds of widgets, I have not found this approach to be the most fruitful and I would suggest that you kick up a real fuss if you want anything fixed. Shout LOUD and often, shout everywhere!

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 2:56 am 

Having just said all that I just received an email from Tony saying that he would willingly look at such a system. So that's positive!

I'll have a look to see which bug reporting systems are currently free, there used to be such things. If there are then I'll create and test.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2016, 7:13 am 

It seems that there are very few online bug tracking systems that do a free service, lots have gone commercial or have shut down. I suggest we use sourceforge's ticket tracking system. Just waiting for Tony to give me the login details for sourceforge and I'll be able to start setting it up. I'll move all discussion to another thread, once this is done we can raise your ticket re: the HTMLpanel button there.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2016, 7:58 am 

Sounds good. Thanks for you help.