[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - INFORMATION: Xwidget 2.0 Intended Release Date?

XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: July 7th, 2015, 1:49 am 

I see quite a lot of people using it (and that is heartening) but I don't see any changes to the engine nor a lot of information from Tony about its future.

I regularly keep an eye out for Xwidget as I have always wanted to use it as a replacement for the Yahoo widget engine.

For the moment though, I still don't feel it would be wise to start to convert. When the devs of a product such as Xwidget goes quiet for such a long time it makes me seriously worried about its potential future. Are the devs simply not interested anymore/don't have enough time to work on it? Neither option is good.

If either of these latter options are the case then the engine should be made open source - or the product will die.

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on April 24th, 2016, 12:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2015, 1:59 pm 

PostPosted: July 19th, 2015, 1:28 am 

I wish Tony would just make the thing open source.

No updates means the thing is dead. It would be such a pity if it were to die...

Tony simply took the wrong path when it came to generating income. A good donation model and bringing in new developers to an open-source project is the path to keeping XWidget alive. An initial kick-starter to generate some income to fund the site and the gallery, then progressive crowd-funding to attain new goals.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2015, 9:38 pm 

I am ready to host the forums and the wiki. :)

Going open-source will also remove a large load off out head, the biggest problem - hosting the XWidget binary somewhere where it won't pinch out bandwidth bill. Sites like github as absolutely free for open-source

PostPosted: September 8th, 2015, 4:57 pm 

I have just sent an email to Tony requesting this - can you please do the same and urge Jim to do so too.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2015, 7:36 am 

Tony we need some updates, some information on the status of Xwidget and the progress of new development, perhaps visibility of the bug and feature list. We NEED this to see this sort of information:

A. To keep the community faith that updates ARE happening.
B. To let the world know that Xwidgets has a future and should be their RAD engine of choice.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2016, 7:55 am 

Tony just emailed me and he states again that he is working on Xwidget 2.0. No more news as yet but I hope that I will get another response shortly.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 9:51 am 

Hi guys, i came to search for any news regarding XW 2, i see things are a bit quiet, perhaps Tony should go open source, that would be great for XW, but i understand letting go one's creation might be difficult.. if funding is the problem, how about a little crowd funding for the project (XW2)? KickStarter could be an option.
or donations like it was mentioned, i hope tony finds a way, XW has such potential!, its really a bummer to see it unrealized.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 10:58 am 

Tony reported that he works on the v2.0 and that it will be ready in March. :)

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 2:56 am 

That is good news. Tony is very poor at self-publicity and disseminating news himself but it still good news.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 8:41 am 

Excellent news! ;D

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 3:16 pm 

Yes it is good news, I will bookmark the month into my internal memory banks for a spread the word campaign when the time draw near. - :)

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 2:01 am 

Xwidget should be open source. It's been a long time since there were any visible updates.
And its end of march

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 10:05 am 

Agreed.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 3:14 pm 

Yeah I really don't want to see it die.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2016, 3:11 am 

The closed nature of Xwidgets will always make the project closer to dying than surviving. Just one man holds the code in his hand, he makes few updates, releases no news, has no published roadmap, never responds on the forum. He has a forum that regularly glitches, a site that can go offline for days, his emails are seldom ever answered. This indicates a man who is too busy or I suppose just isn't that communicative. All of the above bodes not well.

I feel that we have the core of a team here that would help to promote/fix any issues that might arise if we were simply given the code on sourceforge or similar, if we could see the changes being committed as they were made, if there was a bug-list, if there was a road-map and we owned the means for the dissemination of information.

For instance, the site could do with a real makeover now. It has been static for years - that is normally the death knell of a site. Have a look at the Reactos site to see the good job they have done over the recent makeover. - that site is 'alive'!

It would be great to have such a site for Xwidgets, showing the product is alive and well and thriving. People like Jim are the life blood of xwidget but this program really has a community of only one (Jim). The main player should be the developer but we have little proof that he is still active and lots of proof to the contrary.

I contribute and I would be much more of an active player too but my suggestions have only been listened to once - the removal of the malware - and I had to scream loud to get that.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2016, 12:21 pm 

I know for sure that he's very busy in real life and that he travels a lot because of his work. The ''negative'' is that Tony is not a prof programmer and this is not his real job. But I agree that XWidget is became famous especially after its launch on Android and we should respect and don't disappoint all these fans.. I hope that he' s ok though..

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 4:52 am 

Then he should request our help...

PostPosted: April 24th, 2016, 4:31 am 

PostPosted: April 24th, 2016, 12:10 pm 

That is certainly news. Thanks for that Jim.

Some big changes expected - reading between the lines I am assuming more cores and more development of existing cores. It does worry me a bit that javascript is being sidelined. The cores might well have more interactivity but all the facility still needs to be available through scripting.

Not expecting an imminent release in the light of this though. If Tony tells you more please let us know,

PostPosted: April 26th, 2016, 8:29 am 

I'd love it if the ability to add our own Javascript remained, it's VERY useful.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2016, 4:59 pm 

My guess is that we won't see another update for 6 months or more. If javascript is removed then the engine is dead as a serious widget engine for Windows. Let us hope he retains it. For Android it might have a future either way.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2016, 3:10 am 

XWidget will continue to support javascript yereverluvinun. The opposite. The v2.0 will support more than javascript. Tony try to give us more functions that the designer can handle it without the use of javascript.
And this is great! And I don't think that we have to wait so long..

PostPosted: May 4th, 2016, 12:20 am 

What is your guess with regard to the next substantial delivery? I reckon August-November at best.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2016, 12:29 am 

I don't know for sure.. I guess and I hope! We will see..

PostPosted: January 19th, 2017, 1:50 pm 

Hi together!

Now we have the year 2017 and I am sad that there is no more update.
I use XWidget with WIN10 Pro 64 Bit and with occasional program crashes of XWidget.
Almost no more icons necessary and a gorgeous desktop through the many widgets.
Most programs can be launched through the widgets - a dream for me ...
There are so many combinations of the widgets: from side to side on top of each other,
one after the other, visible to invisible, with prioritization view, zoom and so on ...
I stay in any case with the XWidgets as long as it is possible!

Gerald from Germany

Translation german

Hallo zusammen!
Jetzt haben wir das Jahr 2017 und ich bin traurig dass es kein Update mehr gibt.
Ich nutze XWidget mit WIN10 Pro 64 Bit und mit gelegentlichen Programm Abstürzen von
XWidget. Fast keine Icons mehr nötig und einen wunderschönen Desktop durch die vielen
Widgets. Die meisten Programme lassen sich durch die Widgets starten - ein Traum für mich...
Es gibt so viele Kombinationsmöglichkeiten der Widgets: von nebeneinander bis übereinander,
hintereinander, sichtbar bis unsichtbar, mit Priorisierung Ansicht, zoomen und so weiter ...
Ich bleibe auf jeden Fall bei den XWidgets solange es möglich ist !!!

Gerald aus NES

PostPosted: January 20th, 2017, 3:58 pm 

I think that you missed this topic Gerald 2016...
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6503

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 2:04 pm 

regarding ...I think that you missed this topic Gerald 2016...

Hello Jimking,

thank you for your answer, but i don't understand (maybe my english is too bad...) ...

Am i right that Xwidget 2.0 replaces version 1.9.3 or include Xwidget 2.0 the version 1.9.3
or is Xwidget 2.0 a newer version of 1.9.3 ?
I think that both versions are different programs which Xwidget 2.0 changes the desktop
background with animated pictures or movies but xwidget 1.9.3 allows to change the widgets
and use different programs by click the widget.
Or is it possible to use and change/edit the widgets with Xwidget 2.0 ???
If so then i will spend a lot of time more to learn more about Xwidget 2.0 !
If not then i will use version 1.9.3 as long as it works with WIN10.
There's no necessary for me to change the background but I'm using a lot of widgets and it
should be possible to make it stable for WIN10, isn't it?
Will the program (version 1.9.3) further developed at all or is it stopped completly?
Using the internet to get an answer isn't helpful because i found no answer but my impression
is that it was stopped in the year 2012 ???
If so then :-(

Kind regards,

Gerald 2016

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 11:46 pm 

The lastest version of XWidget is uploaded on 2.3.21015 (!)
http://xwidget.com/ver.html

For now the v2.0 of the program is in beta fase and you can test it here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6503

It's the next version of the same program. Logically the new version will replace the old one but it will have full compatibility with the v1.9.xx widgets.
The animated addition of the designer is just one of the extra features of the program but we will still can create widgets as before. But working on a new redesigned XWidget designer. That's all.
I suggest you to download and test the beta version to see what I mean.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 3:47 am 

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 2:36 am 

Wow, I'm liking the new version 1.9.7.906 Free. I believe this version fixed a lot of buggy behavior so I would like to thank Tony for his excellent work working with the code. And I understand as to why there is now a paid version. As to version 2 coming I personally see no need for it to be rushed.

Thank you, Tony (mysterious person that you are) - :D ...good work.

PS: I would like to add - I believe there should be a widget creation gallery for public download rather than the "Share Creations" thread in this forum. Some widget creator's would like to offer the public their creations for free and some of us don't have any other means to do such as that.

My most successful widget creation I have uploaded to my website for a public download at no cost.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 6:26 am 

By all means distribute on the Xwidgets page at Deviantart, I think this will become an unofficial location for widgeteers to demonstrate their non-commercial offerings. Later on it may even become the official location and a link may be provided on Xwidget itself.

At the moment the plan is to postpone version 2.0 and continue with the 1.9 series. Bug-fixing is the priority and I am hoping for regular updates no matter how small. We are asking Tony not to add any new functionality and just fix what is broken, to make xwidget development environment usable.

Glad you are happy.