XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: February 20th, 2015, 4:08 am 

On an XP 2.5ghz core2duo laptop with a dedicated GPU (graphically quite quick and capable of running graphically intensive games like World of Tanks) the Xwidget engine is causing a definite graphical slow-down. This exhibits itself when dragging application windows around the desktop. Windows that would previously move seamlessly around the desktop now move in a jerky fashion but only when the Xwidget engine is running. Closing the Xwidget engine immediately resolves the slowdown.

If I run the Yahoo widget engine running with multiple widgets visible there is no slowdown. Running Xwidget with just one widget, any widget, causes the slowdown. Just having the Xwidget engine running with no widgets causes the slowdown.

I downloaded the Xwidget engine from the onedrive, normal installation.

The laptop has no other task conflicting, has the usual a/v or malware tools, malwarebytes, avast and sygate. The laptop in question has plenty of memory and plenty of CPU available, graphic memory and processor is good.

I'll test the engine on Vista and Win 7 and return with the results. Is there any configuration setting that might be causing it?

Any thoughts? I don't remember the older version of the widget engine causing this, is that still available for download anywhere?

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on May 11th, 2017, 1:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2015, 4:24 am 

Running Nvidia GPU Inspector shows that graphics GPU usage peaks to 90% when moving windows around the desktop when the Xwidget engine is running. Without Xwidget running the load peaks at a mere 23%.

PS. I have a desktop image of 1440 x 990 pixels as a background.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2015, 6:48 am 

I uninstalled/installed a few times and the version that came with the potential malware seems much slower than the personal version that is merely unzipped.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2015, 8:40 am 

Just tested it on Windows 8 on a much less powerful machine and I do not get the same slowdown.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 10:15 am 

This one is more for Tony but anyone with an idea can hazard a guess.

My question is related to what might be causing the slowdown, assuming that Xwidgets is monitoring the mouse position via an overlay that passes the mouse movement through to the layer below which is the GUI and the o/s.

Does the Xwidget engine monitor the movement of the mouse via an overlay that sits on top of the o/s desktop passing mouse movements through to the actual o/s windows and widgets themselves? Or does it simply monitor if a click is on an opaque section of an xwidget? I do not know.

As none of the Xwidgets appear as distinct windows processes to be handled by the desktop GUI I assume that my supposition may be close to being correct?

With Konfabulator or Yahoo widgets each YWE widget process exists as a separate windows process, and the o/s, I have always assumed, manages all the widgets appearing on the o/s desktop via the GUI.

Reason I am asking is that when Xwidget is loaded there is a definite, though slight slowdown when moving windows around, I suppose this is could be to do with the graphics overhead of moving windows around over graphic images and the associated redrawing. There need be no Xwidgets actually showing for the delay to occur. Just having it load on startup seems to cause the slowdown on windows.

In addition, when I run the Xwidget engine in addition to YWE the delay is compounded.

Second question, are images that form the widget cached? Are the resized images cached or do they have to be resized after a function to change them is called. Trying to think of reasons why there would be a slowdown.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2015, 12:27 am 

No issues on AMD 6670 and (shitty) Intel 4000
Were you using an widget doing filps?
As per tony XWidget doesn't touch the gpu except for 3d flip. It relies completely on GDI+

PostPosted: March 15th, 2015, 2:58 am 

Thanks for that, I will do some more research.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 1:01 am 

I think this was due to a problem with the GPU on my old Acer 7720.