[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - warning about the xwidgets folder in "my documents"

XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: January 18th, 2014, 10:43 am 

I have just had a profile corruption on Windows and managed to resolve the corruption just by creating a new profile then removing files/folders from the corrupt profile, logging back into the corrupt profile, then restoring the old files from the backup that Windows makes when it finds a corrupt profile.

One thing I did notice was that the xwidget folder in the corrupted profile and within the backup was present in all its folder structure but there were no files anywhere in the widgets nor packages folder - all gone.

Of course, I have backups of the code elsewhere in other folders but it made me realise how fragile the Windows folder structure under "my documents" actually is. Some poking around on t'net shows me that many others have experienced the same thing. Folder structures intact but no files underneath seems to be a recurring theme.

So, this just is a reminder or a thing to note: On Windows do NOT store the original versions of your widgets in the Xwidgets folder beneath "My Documents" as they are liable to go missing if your Windows profile is corrupted.

In fact, it is wise not to store any files beneath your profile regardless of what Microdolts might suggest. "My Documents is a dangerous place to store big files as they can corrupt your profile, nor it is it a place to store large numbers of files which can cause the same problem. I admit I do use the desktop but ensure that only shortcuts are placed there, no documents nor programs.

Hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2014, 6:11 pm 

which version of windows are you using?
do you know that original folder for my document is:
Documents and Settings\[yourprofilename]\Documents\

i don't have the installation version to tell you exactly, but in other posts they also mentioned about [Application Data] folder,
so try these folders too:
[Documents and Settings\[yourprofilename]\Application Data\]
[Documents and Settings\[yourprofilename]\Local Settings\Application Data\]
[ProgramData\]

and about system restore:
try to not use it until it is your last chance to do that
i had lost some files before with it, maybe your problem is with this
but i think there is a option to undo last recovery,
if you recovered your profile with it, try to undo it, maybe this can get them back.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 7:48 pm 

Microshaft says that your documents and files are not affected by system restore. But it is simply untrue. To keep your backups, simply use the the included backup tool and back up your data to a removable drive or a cloud share if possible.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2014, 5:10 am 

The thing is to remind anyone that any storage under the desktop and in "my documents" can be affected by the loss or corruption of a windows profile regardless of the windows version. Do not trust it. Store your documents source, images &c elsewhere - and as digigamer says - back everything up!

I lost nothing as I back everything up but the loss of a Windows profile and the resulting data loss was a wake-up call to me and as a result I will no longer trust these pathetic Windows internal storage structures that be damaged so easily. I simply store ALL data outside of the windows profile.

For further information type "corrupt profile causes data loss" or similar into oogle with a G and see what it returns for your Windows o/s.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 7:51 am 

Windows cant be trusted... Loving my droid and Arch Linux!!

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 2:30 pm 

I'd agree.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 8:32 am 

You are so right, i might be one of those whom have learned it the hard way.. since then i've become obsessed with backups, and backups of backups..i have 3 backups of everything! lol

Ive change my desktop path to a folder in my "D" drive, so in case windows dies on me i have all the stuff from "my desktop" safe in my "D" drive.. of which i regularly run a backup ..:)
i try not to use standard installation software, i rather use Portable versions located someware else than the C drive, trying to let the "C" virtually "intact"

anyways, rainmeter allows you to change your default skins destination folder simply by editing its path from an ".ini" file, how does this gets done with Xwidget?
i checked the "Options" menu but nothing there, there is a backup/restore option but i rather change where the skins get stored and then back that entire drive up.

is it possible?

thanks

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 9:39 am 

All the widgets are saved ONLY in My Documents->xwidget->Widgets folder.
The "ini" file that use Rainmeter to change the default destination is useless. XWidget make the things simple and functional.
1) Has the Backup function and 2) You can use the "package" function of the Designer to backup any widget (or just make a backup of the "Widgets" folder).

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 11:09 am 

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 11:19 am 

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 1:33 pm 

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 4:35 pm 

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 4:52 pm 

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 5:18 pm 

I should of added I had previously used the installed version and now use the portable version

Can anyone tell me where the path to the widgets and backup folders are configured ?
Is it a user option to change ? If not should it be ?

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 5:36 pm 

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 6:11 pm 

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 8:18 pm 

meme, this is a dumb question but, have you uninstalled the older full version xwidgets? if not i recommend using Revo Uninstaller, it will clean everything - Xwidget - related to the registry (portable version available as well), then try running your portable Xwidget. maybe there is a conflict? dunno..

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2014, 8:45 pm