[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - Bug: Transparent areas of PNGs to be excluded Pt2

XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 4:37 am 

Xwidget is really buggy.

I expect a transparent area not to register a click. It should only register a click event when an opaque section is clicked upon. Xwidget has a serious bug that causes transparent areas to accept clicks.

This is particularly pronounced on circular rotator or image objects as they have a large area of transparency around them at the boundaries. Circular images are not really circular at all. They are square images with circular area upon them but with the rest of the area filled with a transparent mask. This area is clickable and it SHOULD NOT BE.

This bug means that you cannot have circular areas in your widget that have clickable items underneath them. If these underlying objects have click events assigned to them then the click event is never called as you cannot click on these underlying images. The image above extends over them. The only way for the underlying images to take a click is for the upper layer to allow mousethrough. This is not a useful property as it stops the top layer from being clickable.

This relates to a previous forum post where the accidental acceptance of a click on a transparent area was recognised as a BUG - nothing was done about so Xwidget to this day contains this SERIOUS FLAW. It makes Xwidget unusable for many widget types. At least twice now I have set about converting a widget to Xwidget only to find that Xwidget's buggy implementation prevents a normal, usable widget from being created.

Xwidget in its current state is buggy and unusable for serious work. It is OK for kiddy stuff but these BASIC bugs need to be fixed before anyone will ever take this product seriously.

This is the Xwidget that I was converting and once again I gave up due to this horrendous bug! Note that all the components sit closely together beneath a circular clockface. That clockface obscures all the underlying objects from being clickable.

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on June 20th, 2017, 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 7:33 am 

yereverluvinuncleber I think that you should check the mouse through option under 'Other' tab.
Any transparent image is clickable only when you assign a function and not always depending of the kind of the click on function.
Adding an empty image on top is actually a trick that I used it in many widgets and helped me a lot.
If you use any circle png image the clickable area it will be only where the image starts. I never had this problem.. :?
I saw your attached topic though. I don't know.. Maybe it's the kind of functions and the alternative ways that I use to allow me to have what I want without this bug.. :)
qiancang verified the bug too so obviously something is wrong there..

I never use imgur.com here. Periodically not works properly and the images appear with error.
Creating a topic and copying the image code, there is no block on that.
Try http://tinypic.com/

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 8:18 am 

Jim,

You must read my posts fully to understand them, you always seem to misunderstand something.

The use of the click-through is obvious but it isn't wanted here. I do not want the opaque area to click-through. I simply have a circular object on the widget and clicking on another item that is layered below is obscured by the transparent areas. This is NOT meant to happen.

All transparent areas #MUST# click-through automatically. No need to set or click on anything, that is simply how Xwidget is meant to work. It just doesn't and as a result is buggy. This is another fundamental.

All engines operate the same way and it is confirmed that Xwidget should operate this way too. It doesn't.

All events such as on MouseEnter will initiate as soon as the mouse enters the square that surrounds the circular object. It should only trigger when the mouse reaches the opaque section. This bug has been known about for years and it cripples Xwidget.

It affects all widgets including yours Jim. It isn't relevant whether you have had this problem or not Jim. The problem simply exists or it doesn't. In this case it does. I have never been Greek either but as you can see my nationality is not relevant to this bug... It doesn't even need to be said. Everything has a workaround but this just disguises a shoddily implemented engine that is broken in SO many ways.

This bug is meant to highlight how much we need a buglist, so critical issues can be addressed and fixed.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 11:52 am 

I see... I know that Tony should take a look.I only said that I always try to find alternative ways to overpass it, in some cases I found it even helpful, and that's why maybe it was not a real problem for me. This does not negate your observation of course :)
One more job for Tony

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 12:51 pm 

Good response.

The thing is that other potential users of Xwidget will come across the same limitations/bugs as I have. They will not know the workarounds and they will not expect to have to find them. They will simply give up if the product has flaws. As you know it has SO many.

Fixing all these bugs will result in a fantastic product with a future.

The xwidget engine has potential outside mere widgets. and beyond the cores - I call it kiddy usage - it has the potential to be the one and only Windows javascript desktop solution. On top of that it could be the de facto Windows to PC cross development tool- as long as the cores are replicated across both platforms and improved of course.

PS. Forgive me if I get passionate every now and then, I know Englishmen aren't meant to be passionate about anything but I do actually want Xwidget to succeed.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 12:53 am 

Jim,

Please test something for me.

Create a solid circular image object. Tranparent background. Similar to the image above. Place it on top of another image, larger.

Create a mouseenter and mouseexit event for the circular object and an onclick event.

With the cursor, come in from the corners and note when the mouse enter/exit events trigger. Run it in debug mode and note the log.

The events should only trigger when the mouse enters the opaque section and not the transparent section. A click on the transparent section of the circular object should register on the layer below. It does not.

Example widget attached.

Attachments:
testClicks.xwp [102.62 KiB]
Downloaded 152 times

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 5:22 am 

Let me check and I'll reply..

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 11:43 pm 

Yes I know what do you mean.. I changed the cursor to handpoint and it shows clearly when the clickon events start.
I agree that if Tony can fix it will be useful and will make the designing part more "clear".

Meanwhile here is a trick to "overwrite" it (check "testClicks2 trick.xwp")

Attachments:
testclicks2_trick.xwp [146.27 KiB]
Downloaded 151 times
testClicks2.xwp [104.19 KiB]
Downloaded 157 times

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 11:54 pm 

Jim, I know how to create clickable areas as a workaround but that's not the issue.

I can convert perfectly good yahoo widgets just by changing. hoffsets to . left and .voffsets to .top (plus a few other changes) but even when the conversion is completed some widgets are compromised by this bug and require too many workarounds to make then achievable.

When a bug changes the default operation of a widgets so drastically it radically alters the base code and undoes one of the main reasons for the migration, that being both widgets having the same code base. Once this is gone then all the extra work is a bodge or a kludge and I will not subscribe to such amateur workarounds.

I don't have to create such botched Xwidgets - it is up to Tony to make Xwidgets a usable, fundamentally bug-free environment and that is what he must do. This is a fundamental bug. No workarounds acceptable.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 12:20 am 

I see the problem here.. I just presented you an alternative way to overwrite this issue and I know that this should not be the solution.
But you didn't even download the above files man.. :o
Anyway we're both experts and we know very well how the things work in the designer and the issue has been registered multiple times.
So creating test widgets here it does not make sense..

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 2:21 am 

I'd say this is a priority 1 for Tony to fix as the handling of transparencies in widget engines is well understood. It is one of their major benefits over other older and more traditional runtime engines.

At least this bug report is now understood and complete, thanks for your help.