[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - SUGGESTION: Correct any location that implies malware

XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 1:31 am 

1 - Xwidget engine setup executable is clean of malware - CONFIRMED.
2 - Xwidget engine is clean of malware - CONFIRMED.

This is good news. Sources around the web are still flagging Xwidgets as being or containing malware. For example, clicking on links to this forum can be blocked by Chrome, that is a browser potentially used by 40% of the world's users! Several antimalware tools flag Xwidgets in their databases as containing malware.

Now that the adware/malware has been cleaned (hope it has by now) we can start to register the new version with those sources as being FREE from malware. This means being proactive and actually getting out there registering the malware reports as being false positives and submitting new results.

So, everyone who is benefitting from Xwidgets, developers, users, that have an interest in keeping Xwidgets alive, please select a location on the web where Xwidgets is being defined as malware and list it here.

We need assistance on this task. This is an IMPORTANT task if you wish Xwidgets to survive. Do NOT ignore this post.

Please take one of those sources from the list and attempt to re-register Xwidgets as being CLEAN. List what you have done here on this post to avoid repetition.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2015, 5:19 pm 

firefox started flaging the forums as dangerous too. that needs fixing

PostPosted: June 10th, 2015, 4:38 am 

And I'm posting this from latest firefox ... no warnings ?"

PostPosted: June 10th, 2015, 6:21 am 

PostPosted: June 21st, 2015, 9:52 pm 

well it's still flagged with Chrome but you do need to have the setting ON so I take it you guys do not have that similar setting ON on your versions of FF.
And I agree 100% that this needs to be fixed to save the integrity of this software.
It is NOT a good look and the average person who is not techy like us will just read the WARNING and avoid the website.

Is this what you want?

If you can't find what the issue is don't just say its a Firefox/Chrome issue.
Get another opinion for some other people to look over this website.
I have already posted on this thread below and went to the trouble of asking at a Google forum. They were nice enough to reply and show some suspect code but nothing has even been done on this forum to show any genuine concern or a reply.
Not good enough.
Here is that thread..
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5671
and what the Google tech found...
His words...
"Hi djpete,

The Google safebrowsing tool still reports found issues for this site.

You might want to check for any suspicious scripts linked in the source.
Sometimes you might find them injected into the source code of the page near the end,
which is where I saw this one on your home page.

< div style=" display: none ">
< sc<200b>ript src=hxxp://s25.cnzz.com/stat.php?id=4O33716&web_id=4O33716" language="Javasc<200b>ript"> < /sc<200b>ript>
< /div>

Hope that helps,
Tim"

I had a virus a few weeks back and haven't been back here just in case it came from this website.
And I build websites for a living!
So if it's scared me just imagine what it is doing to the average user...
You need to FIX this if you want this forum and the product to grow. It's as simple as that.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2015, 10:14 pm 

And so also I build websites for a living.

I went through the served html of random pages of the forum but could not find any references to the script.

Did they list any page where it was located?

Can you give a link to the Google post?

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2015, 7:13 am 

Firefox on PC doesn't generate any errors, but the Firefox on Android generates a similar message as does Chrome, both for the forums and for the main Android XWidgets page.
Screenshot_2015-07-23-11-11-18[1].png
Screenshot_2015-07-23-11-11-18[1].png [ 170.65 KiB | Viewed 8171 times ]

PostPosted: August 21st, 2015, 1:17 am 

It was an incredibly BAD idea of Tony's to allow that malware to be included into the original installation executable. I reckon that it will be very difficult to ever get rid of the bad reputation that Xwidget now has.

There will be copies of the malware-affected installation knocking about for years. They need to be expunged and we need to be absolutely sure there are none hanging about here.

Frankly the Xwidget engine needs a new home, away from the current location. There need to be massive disclaimers on the site in very large fonts about it being utterly clean.

I warned Tony from the very beginning that this malware would kill Xwidgets stone dead and it took a year for him to finally sit up and take notice. Now he has abandoned Xwidgets and the browsers will kill all traffic to the site.

How utterly foolish... We need the source code, we need to rebuild Xwidgets under a different name and we need to build a new site. Xwidgets reputation is tarnished forever.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2015, 2:08 am 

Attachments:
File comment: This is what firefox shows me
xwid.jpg
xwid.jpg [ 200.14 KiB | Viewed 8062 times ]

PostPosted: August 25th, 2015, 11:38 am 

Don't be so silly. We don't need to know how to stop the warning being displayed on our own PCs. We need to stop the warning being displayed FULL STOP.

The Webdev needs to do his homework.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2015, 6:04 am 

I'm with you on that. I wasn't suggesting people just put their head in the sand-- I was explaining what I had to do *just to get here*. The webdev needs to reach out to Mozilla and inform them this warning is in error-- but since that warning uses a crowdsourced list, the overall reputaton of Xwidget needs to be repaired.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 6:40 am 

May be we need change a new software name and new domain name ? ....

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2015, 11:28 am 

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 6:37 pm 

Tony I offered to go through the website for free quite a while back.
I have been building and hosting websites for over 17 yrs. In that time I have seen quite a few virus infected websites.
All I need is access to the server preferably via cPanel or FTP.

At least you will then have a qualified second opinion.
You have nothing to lose and this should have been done a LONG time ago.

It would take me only an hour to go through the website and give an opinion and or remove any suspicious files.
It ain't hard to do.

My personal opinion is there are still suspicious files on the website being flagged.
I don't think it is an old bad reputation..

You know where I am

PostPosted: September 9th, 2015, 2:23 am 

DJpete, you and I are webdevs of similar experience. I have suggested to Tony that he hands over FTP access to the site to others so it can be checked, then a refresh and some additional information on the landing page (news, clean download &c) possibly a CMS to replace what Tony has.

If he hands over FTP access then I will get in touch with you and digigamer.

All major browsers will need to be informed as will any A/V engines that are flagging the site as being unreliable with regard to malware.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2015, 3:27 pm 

Agreed yereverluvinuncleber. It's a great free opportunity for Tony. He should take it up

PostPosted: September 11th, 2015, 3:48 am 

I have posted an open letter to this effect on the top of the site. If you could please add your response here:

Your support might be useful in order to persuade Tony.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2015, 3:45 pm 

This is a thread that was started when the Xwidget engine was found to be still hosting crap/malware:

It is worth a read.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2015, 4:30 pm 

Thank your yereverluvinuncleber, you are right.
I had changed the domain from xwidget.com to kuyuapp.com

PostPosted: September 14th, 2015, 12:10 am 

I'm not sure that is the correct approach...

We need to convince the browsers that Xwidget engine is clean, changing the domain will NOT do that.

It is a temporary measure at best.

It does not help with any of the a/v engines that are flagging the executable as malware too.

You need to open the code for analysis so that anyone can check it. Once that is done then all will know that it is free of malware.
Then you need to rejig the website giving everyone reassurance that the installation exe is clean. You need to ensure that all downloads on all downloading sites are clean.

Then you must send false positive reports to all the a/v tools and the same for all the browsers.

Changing the domain is NOT a solution.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2015, 7:24 pm 

PostPosted: September 14th, 2015, 11:13 pm 

Firefox still giving this warning for this site

Attachments:
warning.jpg
warning.jpg [ 47.25 KiB | Viewed 7660 times ]

PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 2:24 am 

For me also.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 5:01 am 

PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 5:49 am 

I have requested that Firefox stops flagging xwidget.com as being a dangerous page, I sent in a request through their google safe browsing page:

https://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_badware/

There appears to be no place to report a false positive or flag a site as now being repaired.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 5:51 am 

https://www.stopbadware.org/clearinghou ... widget.com

shows xwidget.com as being OK

PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 5:52 am 

If your own browser is flagging Xwidget as hosting malware then please take the trouble to report it as being a false positive. Please be active in this.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2015, 5:35 am 

Thanks!
I had request a Review from Google/Firefox

PostPosted: September 17th, 2015, 3:25 pm 

Looks as if Firefox is no longer flagging the site as hosting malware. Good news!