[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - HELP: Xwidget download suggestion

XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 3:53 pm 

I do have a problem with allowing CNET as the default provider of the Xwidget engine given that they always include a load of bundled software that is unrelated to the Xwidget engine. Bearing in mind my previous experience where CNET bundled a DNS redirecter I am really suspicious of any CNET download. I would go a long way to avoid CNET if the possibility existed.

I am currently attempting to download Xwidget on an alternative Windows compatible operating system in order to test Xwidget on that platform.

That o/s is in alphas stage and browser support is limited. The CNET site does all sort of clever stuff which blocks all my attempts to download the xwidget engine through the browser.

I am trying to download an simple version of the xwidget engine without all the bundled crap that comes with it, a simple zipfile would suffice. I have found the alternative sources but they seem to be CNET bundled exes that the alternative o/s cannot handle.

Can you please make available an alternative zipfile that just has the widget engine inside and please make it available from another source and not CNET?

I really would like to test XWidget on this new platform as I think it would be a boost for Xwidget. At the moment I cannot even start due to the bundling with CNET.

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on November 6th, 2014, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 4:22 pm 

If you look more carefully at the download page yereverluvinuncleber, you will see that there are 3 more ways to download the program!
Please read this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4366&hilit=cnet

Attachments:
2014-11-06_011704.jpg
2014-11-06_011704.jpg [ 64.02 KiB | Viewed 5007 times ]

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 7:10 pm 

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 6:15 am 

Portable?

Are you talking reactos? I tried that, they don't have a good d3d and GDI support. Delphi runtime also depends upon some weird stuff (I'm yet to dig) that isn't available there :(

PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 7:12 am 

I am not doing it just to try it out.

They just released a new version of ReactOS as of last night and I simply test certain apps and add them to the developer's buglist. If there are any changes I will note them and report. Can't even start to test if the o/s won't download or recognize the exe.

As I stated I managed to pull the CNET exe from the alternative sources but the o/s won't open them at all. A simple zipfile would suffice.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2014, 9:06 am 

Reactos has come along way, eg:

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 12:24 pm 

I just had a complaint from someone that I recommended Xwidgets to. They stated that XWidget infected their computer with a browser hijacking program. Of course, once again the blame is on CNET.

CNET bundled two/three bits of software, one called 'iobit' that acts as an alternative uninstaller, another two called 'linkey' and 'wajam' hijacked the browser.

XWidget is getting a very bad name allowing CNET to bundle this sh1t with Xwidget.

You chaps need to get your heads together and realise that CNET is the wrong vehicle for distributing the Xwidget engine. It almost always bundles malware with Xwidget. It used to be the default location for downloading XWidget and we must prevent it from ever being that again. We need to stop CNET from distributing this cr@p.

The Xwidget team should have nothing to do with CNET.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 6:29 pm 

PostPosted: December 7th, 2014, 10:05 am 

Thanks Tony, the download location isn't for me but for others that are finding it on CNET, they continue to think that XWidgets has the infection. CNET is very clever in bundling software seamlessly so that the users does not notice that he has agreed to install other software.

The XWidget team needs to tell CNET to stop delivering Xwidget, full STOP. They will ALWAYS bundle it and will always give XWidget a bad name.

We need to state clearly somewhere in BIG LETTERS :

DO NOT DOWNLOAD XWIDGET FROM CNET!

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 1:19 am 

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 3:08 am 

Very good!