[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - BUG: Right click is not captured correctly.

XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: March 13th, 2018, 11:52 am 

If you do a right click on an object that has the OnMouseDown event captured then both left mouse clicks and right mouse clicks mistakenly generate an event. This is wrong. Only a left click should generate a mousedown or click event.

According to all javascript documentation the right click should be able to be captured by a standard javascript onContextMenu event but this event is not available to Xwidget so it cannot be used. The Xwidget engine hijacks the right click menu to create its own menu but discards the javascript onContextMenu event functionality.

Problem: If you have an OnMouseDown event captured on an object and you right click when on the object in order to open the widget's right-click menu then a normal click event is also generated on the object. This can trigger an unwanted sequence of code to be run and the event trigger cannot be prevented.

Due to the absence of the onContextMenu event it is no longer possible to determine whether the click event was generated by a right or left click.

This is a BUG.

Workaround : none (unless anyone here has a way of identifying a right mouse click)

Severity: Medium

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 10:40 am 

Dean I don't know if this can help you with the workaround part, and maybe is irrelevant but I have these two widgets where the right click menu appears only under certain circumstances..
https://jimking.deviantart.com/art/Brok ... -452784862
https://jimking.deviantart.com/art/Rain ... -467534607

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 12:28 pm 

Thankyou - I will review.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 12:57 pm 

Jim, can you provide a direct link to that widget via dropbox/stash or similar - I find the gallery impossible to use. Still no search function so you have to wade about though categories trying to find the widget you want. The gallery lacks filters so finding anything specific is difficult.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 3:01 pm 

The gallery HAS search field now Dean and filters (from the prev version).http://xwidget.com/ver.html
Please use the icon tray to open built in gallery with search support. If you still have problems let me know..

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 2:02 am 

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on March 15th, 2018, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 2:35 am 

I had a look at the code in the broken widget and there is no relevance to the situation I described. The problem is that an object that has a click event registered is responding to a right click as if it was a left click.

A right click fires up the menu (which is good) but it also creates a left click event on the object (which is not good). An unwanted action that is in in effect, a bug. The reason being that Xwidget creates its own menu system but then allows the right click to register on the object.

I only want one action to occur as defined and not another spurious event that is not defined anywhere.

Simply put, a right click should generate a menu and nothing else.

-oOo-

By the way, that "broken glass" widget does nothing on my system on Xwidget 1.9.10. It did not show up on the dashboard, was running but did nothing at all except slow down the desktop interactions, screen redrawing &c. Clicking/right clicking when the broken widget was running caused nothing to occur.

You might want to have a look at that...

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 5:00 am 

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 5:14 am 

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 6:52 am 

Com'on..
That's why I ALWAYS add a DESCRIPTION man..(!) For all the widgets, even for the most simple ones.
All the necessary infos are written there (DA and xwidget galleries). The people need to spend 5 mins to read it. If they are too lazy to do it, it's not my fault..

For the rest, I have already send a pm to Tony to check your last reports :)

Attachments:
ok.jpg
ok.jpg [ 551.43 KiB | Viewed 2771 times ]

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 9:22 am 

No, I don't mean on the gallery page. I mean on the widget. Just as Xwidget has that splash screen to let you know what is going on. All my widgets have full help available through the widget - especially on a widget like that - that needs it. Remember that many may come across that widget months/years later and have no access to the gallery page. They may not even have access to that screen later. A simple splash screen on startup, better than that "cracked" text that appears would make it usable and friendly... You have to type that help text anyway so why not type it onto a text area of a layer on the widget?

Also, quality help like that makes it much more professional.

Anyhow, off topic ended, my friendly advice on usable widgets given even if not accepted.

Glad that bug has been added to the list.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 11:14 am 

Any suggestion is always welcome... :)