XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: August 8th, 2013, 4:16 am 

Double-clicking on an object on the design area of the IDE should take you directly to the portion of code associated with the object, in particular the Onclick event by default.

I have experience of other IDEs that do this and it speeds up the process of editing considerably and makes use of the editor a much more-enjoyable thing to do.

At the moment you have to click on the object, then click on the functions icon, then select the event and click on the ... button and then from there "select the scripting function for the event"

That is all well and good but there needs to be a quicker option.

If the object has any function associated with it then by double-clicking on it - that function should appear in the code window with the editing cursor placed upon the first line of code in the function. By default it is always the onclick event (if that code exists) otherwise the next event would show (and so on). This would have the secondary function of meaning that all events associated with an object would tend to be grouped into one part of the code which would then be easy to find.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2014, 7:12 am 

BUMP - any response on this from the Devs?

I don't think you can underestimate how useful this functionality would be. At the moment, if I have a full paste buffer and I want to copy that block of code into another routine called by an onclick event, I have to memorise which function name is being called. Then I have to view the code window and remember it so I can search for it. So many functions and it is too easy to make a mistake. An IDE should be built to be smooth to operate. This IDE is clunky to the extreme and very off-putting to new developers.

On my favourite IDE, the VB6 IDE, even though there may be more than one assigned event, the first and main event is the onClick event. On this and some other IDEs when you double click on a control in the designer it takes you straight to the code associated with the onClick event. The code associate with other events naturally simply slots in after the onClick code. Very easy to find and very easy to use.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2014, 5:10 pm 

you can do this:
1. select the object,
2. go to [Functions] Tab,
3. doubleclick in the event's edit box

Note:
1. if the event's box is empty: a new function will be created and it will bring you there directly
2. if the event's box is associated to a function: it will bring you to that function directly

PostPosted: October 18th, 2014, 3:24 am 

Thanks Hamid, I know that functionality and it is good. However, if you've used an IDE like the VB6 IDE then you'll find that double-clicking on an object, an image or other item on the forms/graphic layout designer takes you directly to the code. It takes you to the onclick function if that function is assigned. When you are in the code you can pgup/pgdn to the other function s assigned to the object which are normally closely grouped. It is an extremely useful function and closely ties the graphic designer to the code.