[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - CONTROL: return a list of drive volumes

XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: May 27th, 2017, 3:46 am 

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 3:29 am 

I've created an example widget.

Attachments:
filesystemVolumes.xwp [24.84 KiB]
Downloaded 227 times

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 8:55 am 

yereverluvinuncleber what exactly does this script because he designer gives you the possibility to select and visualize other drive volumes than C:\
and create widgets with multiple volumes at the same time, change them, edit their names..
It's about having them as a list with their extended names..?

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 11:08 am 

FilesystemVolumes returns a list of volumes. That's it. A useful piece of functionality that Xwidget currently appears not to support.

So, if you have some code that requires the filesystem.volumes function then it is not available unless it is implemented in ActiveX/.js. This code shows you how to regain that functionality.

Xwidget is missing a number of fundamental controls/functions that are fairly easy to implement in javascript but really ought to be implemented in C++ as part of Xwidget's functions. They are already documented, see the konfabulator documentation attached below or you could view any other engine's documentation. The good thing here is that the work has already been done to define the functionality and document it.

The yahoo widget engine provides a lot of documented functionality that is also available to other engines. Using the Yahoo widget engine's documentation is a very good guide to the sort of base filesystem functionality that Xwidget should be providing by default. It would provide backward compatibility, a useful supply of existing documentation and useful functionality for Xwidget's future.

filesystem.volumes
An array of currently mounted volumes
Description
The volumes attribute of the filesystem object contains an array of all the currently mounted volumes.

Attachments:
Konfabulator Reference 4.5.zip [2.1 MiB]
Downloaded 221 times

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 3:11 pm 

Ok.. Thanks

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 12:10 am 

These controls that I have written using activeX have simply given Xwidget YWE filesystem functions that I have found useful in my widgets, functions that I have previously used. My versions may not be perfect or complete but they are good enough at the moment. As I convert my yahoo widgets (see my blog on DA) I am replicating this functionality so that future conversion of widgets becomes easier and easier. I will attempt to replicate each filesystem function but that will take time and as I said, it would be much better if Tony used the YW documentation and replicated each filesystem function using the YWE documentation as a roadmap and a guide.

The YW engine did it all VERY well, covered all the bases, it is an incredibly good starting point for Tony to complete Xwidget, a good roadmap that might get Tony back on track. That is what I am demonstrating here.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 5:05 am 

Cores are quite clumsy and they are undocumented. How to manipulate cores from javascript? It is not explained anywhere. The API should be exposed and documented so that the same functions are available from javascript. The Xwidget documentation shows how to do this and gives full documentation.

Cores are fine for noobs but... they are limited and sometimes very clunky in operation.

Xwidget has this fantastic javascript engine built in. It is WASTED here in Xwidgets but is SO powerful that if the world realised that you can run your javascript web code on the desktop and obtain access to the file system functions then it could be a game-changer for many developers.

We need to improve Xwidget, not the cores but exposing the core APIs to javascript. They may be exposed already but they are undocumented.

IF Tony uses the Xwidget documentation as a guide then all he needs to do is code - just as I have done using activeX and javascript in the example above.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2017, 12:19 am 

Posted this here: http://docs.xwidget.com/index.php?title ... ve_volumes

See the source how to properly add snippets to docs

List of all snippets on docs: http://docs.xwidget.com/index.php?title ... e_Snippets

PostPosted: June 28th, 2017, 12:36 am 

Very good indeed Digigamer. Are you happy for others to make changes there? Happy to contribute to the wiki.