[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - Guide to converting Yahoo Widgets to Xwidget

XWidgetSoft Forum

XWidget & XLaunchpad , Desktop customization
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: April 30th, 2017, 9:19 am 

Guide to converting Yahoo Widgets to Xwidget Pt1

Part I of a six part series

Posted the guide at DeviantArt as it will receive a lot more visibility there, this forum is a little dead for my liking. It has already had 239 views there and rising daily... only two here! Dead or what?

The guide is a work-in-progress, each page will be updated as more information arises, page VI is being heavily modified now but most other pages are fairly accurate and complete. Please feel free to add your own observations here or on Deviantart.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2017, 3:05 am 

Very useful. Thank you :)
(DA has millions of users. Do not expect the same response here from less than 3000 members..)

PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 10:44 am 

Thanks for responding.

388 viewers so far on DA. I happy with that.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 10:55 am 

I think that it will be better if I move this topic here:

Widget Develop Documents:
viewforum.php?f=10

PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 4:54 am 

Thanks for that Jim, can I ask that when and if you have time you have read-through. I'd like your response on any technical matters that you feel could be done in a different way. For example, setting colours in code does not seem to work at all so some response in that context would be appreciated.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 10:41 am 

I will do it as soon as possible. From a quick reading I see that it requires time, work and advanced knowledge of js. I'm not so expert in java script and you know that I'm always more for the "direct way" when I design something trying to use the Designer in the direct way or finding "tricks" than use code. But I fully understand, and I saw it from my "complicated" designs, that the js is inevitable if you want to create cool stuff and go futher.. Many times I had so many ideas but my limited knowledge forced me to stop from add some extra functions.
Since my free time is limited this period it will be more easy show me the part to check, about the colours and especially when and how you want to use them..

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 12:56 am 

I have simply failed to change colours of any object in code, when I managed to change a colour it was random!

The thing is that as Xwidget supports full jscript anything that a yahoo widget can do, xwidget can do, so there is no need to use the Xwidget cores and additional functions.

This means that the code for a yahoo widget and an xwidget can be identical. This is a real win. Also, the code will work with a few tweaks as web widgets, so it make great sense to use Tony's stuff as little as possible for straight conversions. So basically I don't really want to know how to do things within the IDE, that is easy and in any case not applicable, if it needs to be done in code I just need to find out the method that works.

That is what my guide was about.

I have simply failed to change colours in code. It almost works. But not quite.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 1:09 am 

The other thing is filters on dialog boxes, being able to add a filter.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 1:10 am 

And capturing a key press at any time while the widget is running.

I have workarounds for all of these but I need to know what if any options exist.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 4:31 am 

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 9:48 am 

I assume that the keypress widgets use the isKeyDown in a timer. That is very inefficient. I am looking for something like widget.onKeyDown();

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on May 11th, 2017, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 9:50 am 

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on May 11th, 2017, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 9:52 am 

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 10:19 am 

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 10:38 am 

Hmm.. I think that @meme and @digigamer can help you more at this point. They will know if this it's possible at the end or not..